Do I need solicitor or lawyer when purchasing a house? And what is the difference between lawyer and solicitor?

Lawyer is the general term for law professional, and solicitor is subcategory of lawyer. In the UK, solicitors specialize in different areas of law, they meet with advice clients and they are representing their clients in the lower courts. They also hire another kind of legal professional called barrister, to be advocate for their clients when there is need to go to the higher courts such as the Crown Court.

There are two types of lawyers who can help you when looking for assistance in property transaction. There is a solicitor who specializes in property law (can be commercial or residential) or a lawyer trained in property law but who is not yet qualified as solicitor (licensed conveyancer)So anyone with a license, referred to conveyancer, under the supervision of a solicitor may help you do the actual administrative work involved in transferring the property.

Can a lawyer assist me in buying a property?

Transfer of the legal title of a property from one person to another is also know under the term Conveyancing. Because it’s important that the transfer is legitimate, a major part of the Conveyancing involves carrying out searches about the prospective property, such as checking that the site is occupied legally, is the site threatened by redevelopment in the area or is it a subject of compulsory purchase order.
Conveyancing also involves creating the contract with the terms of the purchase of the property and the exchange of the mortgage information. In England and Wales, properties cannot be transferred until contracts are not exchanged, so this is an essential part in the process.

Can an estate agent take care of this mater?

NO. It’s important to understand that the estate agents primary duty is to the seller of the property, and not to you as a buyer. You are not paying the estate agent, he gets money from the percent of the price he will sell the property for, so his main concern is to get the highest offer he can get. In addition for estate agents is not required to have qualification or to belong to any professional body, they are unregulated, so that’s why their quality of service varies widely between individuals and companies.

Written by Quick Solicitors

Quick Solicitors specialise in personal injury claims involving motorcycle, car, bicycle and pedestrian accidents, as well as injuries caused by accidents at work or in public places.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>